Progressive Truancy Intervention Plan
- State Attendance Guidelines will be posted in the school office.
- All parents/guardians will have access to information regarding the Lincoln County Attendance Policy - TN Code Annotated 49-6-3007 http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-49/chapter-6/part-30/49-6-3007/
- School will keep a copy of parents/guardians signatures acknowledging they are aware of the Lincoln County attendance policy http://images.pcmac.org/Uploads/TennesseeSBA/TennesseeSBA/Departments/DocumentsCategories/Documents/6200_60.pdf
- Tier 1 Immediately after the 3rd unexcused absence (in the school year) a 3 day letter is mailed to parent/guardian. The designated school personnel will contact parents/guardians of students who accumulate 3 unexcused absences to schedule a conference with parents/guardians and student. The attendance law will be given to the parents/guardians. An attendance contract will be signed by the parents/guardians, student and the designated school personnel. The contract will specify the school’s attendance expectations for the student. The contract will specify the period of the contract (no less than 90 days).The contract will specify the penalties for additional absences and alleged school offenses, including additional disciplinary action and potential referral to juvenile court. The contract will specify regularly scheduled follow-up discussions to address the student’s progress.
- Tier 2 School personnel will send written notification to parents/guardians of students who accumulate 5 unexcused absences. Additional steps that will be taken for students who accumulate more than 5 unexcused absences include the following:
- The designated school personnel will work with the school counselor to develop an Individualized Assessment of the reason(s) a student has been absent from school.
- If a student accumulates 8 unexcused absences or 12 excused absences a STAR Team Meeting with student, parents/guardian, designated school personnel, counselor, Attendance Supervisor, Family Resource Director, and teachers regarding the Individualized Assessment. A plan to address the truancy issues will be developed.
- Follow up discussions will be scheduled to address attendance progress.
- Tier 3 Students who accumulate 10 unexcused absences or tardies or a combination of 10 will be referred to Truancy Board (for first referral) or Court (if has been referred to Truancy Board.
- The Truancy Board consists of a Juvenile Court Officer (Not the Judge), along with the Attendance Supervisor and Principals/Graduation Coach from the individual schools.
- Students who continue to accumulate unexcused absences or tardies after Truancy Board will be referred to Juvenile Court.
- Tardy Attendance A student who arrives late to school or is dismissed early is considered Tardy.
- Tardies must have a note with an excusable reason documented within (2) two days of return to school. If student uses a Parent Note for a Tardy it does count toward the (3) Parent Notes allowed per semester.
- Contact parent/guardian regarding tardies when 5 unexcused are accumulated during the school year. Advise unexcused tardies can constitute referral to Juvenile Court. Document the contact.